What a glorious occasion! At 11 a.m. on a picture-perfect Tuesday morning, friends, family, neighbors and elected officials gathered on Grace Street for the outdoor dedication of a Marker honoring Richmond Hill’s Building & Grounds as a Historic Landmark of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Jim Bennett, Richmond Hill Musician, lead us in song. Rev. Joel Blunk and Rev. Janie Walker, Co-Pastoral Directors of Richmond Hill, welcomed the gathering. Rev. Ben Campbell, Pastor Emeritus, Richmond Hill, recounted the history. And there were remarks and reflections:
- Deacon Charles Williams, Catholic Diocese of Richmond VA
- The Honorable Cynthia Newbille, Councilwoman, East End 7th Disctrict
- The Honorable Ellen Robertson, Councilwoman, Gateway 6th District
- Sergeant Carol Adams, Richmond Police, Community Care Unit
- Delegate Betsy Carr, Virginia House of Delegates, 69th District
- Delegate Delores McQuinn, Virginia House of Delegates, 70th District
- Mayor Levar Stoney, Richmond, Virginia
Ms. Julie Langan, Virginia Department of Historical Resources, dedicated the marker. Midday Prayers and Lunch followed. A splendid time was had by all. Thanks be to God!
Here is the text on the marker:
Richmond Hill was an early name for Church Hill. Richard Adams, one of the most prominent men in Richmond, built a house on this site by the 1790s, and a second house, still standing, was constructed here about 1810. William Taylor remodeled this residence in the Italianate style in 1859, adding the second story and porches. In 1866, the Order of the Sisters of the Visitation of Holy Mary established a monastery and school here, and they erected a chapel in 1894-95. The monastery, known as Monte Maria, was purchased in 1987 by an ecumenical Christian community, which named the property Richmond Hill and opened it as a retreat center and place of prayer for the city.